12 October 2015

PORTRAITS - PERSPECTIVE DISTORTION

One of the unique and most interesting things in Platon's portraits is the use of perspective distortion. That makes body parts look bigger and more imposing than they would normally look. They magnify the sense of power and the intimidating look of the models.

I tried achieving that using a wide angle lens, but It turned out that obtaining that effect was incredibly difficult. The main problem was the size of the background that could not contain the whole photograph. I also didn't experiment much with the distance of the camera from the subject. In my opinion I also wasn't able to utilize this effect in a meaningful way, because I wasn't able to clearly emphasize any emotion.



I photographed Laura from above trying to make her look smaller and more vulnerable and delicate. Same story with the pictures of Francesco, where no clear perspective distortion is visible. With a better understanding of the lens functioning, with a bigger background and with more experimentation the result would have been definitely more convincing.