01 November 2015

UNIT 1 - RELATIONSHIPS + IDEAS

The theme of our Unit 1 is relationships. It's a very broad theme that can give a lot of starting points and ideas. Our world is dense of relationships and interactions, people themselves as social animals strongly need different types of relationships with other people. After I jotted down the loads of  different ideas on the sketchbook I organized them in 3 macro ideas in a spider diagram on the portfolio.


The first macro idea is the relationship between nature and artificial objects. I would like to document the difficult coexistence of nature and people, and the contrasts between them. Nature is a disruptive force that often collides with people and its constructions. The way nature inspires design and architecture also fascinates me.

The second idea is the intersection of science, technology and society. I would like to portray technology as an extension of people's senses, a tool that empowers people, but also the many conflicts between science, tech and society and culture. A quote of Carl Sagan brilliantly describes this conflict: 
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
The third idea, on which I decided to focus, is the relationship with time. It's a really broad idea that would me give me the opportunity to experiment differently with 'time' and with its interrelationships with people, objects and places. As a starting point I will be looking at how we can portray and 'photograph' time, focusing on technical aspects of the camera (like shutter speed) and on representing movement. After that I will start looking at time as an incredible shaping force, that changes, moves and breaks apart everything. I would like to explore derelicts and abandoned places, that have been shaped by time, nature and the absence of people.